Monday, January 25, 2010

Year of the Historical Challenge


I've decided I'm going to participate in a few reading groups around the Internet this year. I tried to do an IRL book club a couple years ago, but the time to get there just wasn't available. "Meeting" on the 'net is just so much easier- and the folks who participate come from ALL over.

One of the groups I've signed up for is Year of the Historical. I've loved historical fiction ever since Sister Joanna had us read Elswyth Thane the summer before freshman year in high school. I still love Thane's books for themselves, but also because they showed me a whole new world of books I hadn't known about before.

Participants in the YotH challenge are going to read at least 12 books in the category this year, and post monthly reviews. For January I will be reading and reviewing "The King's Pleasure" by Norah Lofts, which is about Katherine of Aragon, 1st wife of Henry VIII. While I will certainly enjoy whatever 12 books I end up reading for the challenge, I am most looking forward to building a new "to be read" list that I expect will be VERY extensive.

There are several Historical Fiction links on my sidebar- check them out!

1 comment:

Shirley said...

I find that amazing about the reading groups after what you already do. You are a doer!