Thursday, August 14, 2008

Just another one of *those* days.....

.....and it's not even 11 o'clock yet!

Now, I am not complaining- exactly. But I had such hopes for today. Tomorrow is trash day- and I wanted to go through the basement and garage and generate a TON of trash. But, my aunt had surgery last week and Mom just called and wants me to take her to visit. I cannot say no. I adore my aunt and she is so wonderful- but does Mom really HAVE to go at Noon??? Right in the middle of the day? I'm going to get very little trashing done before it is time to shower and dress, and by the time I get home it will be really hot, and by the time it cools off this evening....

So, re-think those plans. Blog now, trash later.

I found a new blog today through the wonderful Stamping When I Can blog- the one who regularly posts her newly discovered blogs and gave me that idea. It is called Shamrocks and Seashells, a title which totally appeals to this Irish girl who loves the shore. Although the blogger is younger than my kids, we have a lot in common- not only being Irish and loving the shore, but also loving stamping, reading, our local baseball teams and margharitas!

I have been telling, IRL, a lot of people about a book I read earlier this summer. Inspired by Shamrocks and Seashells, here's the scoop.



Title: Jane Austen in Boca

Author: Paula Marantz Cohen

I got this from the Sale shelf at the library at the shore. The title jumped out at me- a confirmed Janite (fan of Jane Austen, although "fan" is totally NOT a strong enough word)- and then the fact that the author was a professor at a local college sealed the deal.

This is Pride and Prejudice- but among the older Jewish set living in a retirement community in Boca Raton, Florida. It is a RIOT! All our favorite characters are there- Mrs. Bennett, now played by the daughter-in-law who in determined to see her MIL wed well, Mr. Collins, now wearing plaid shorts but still talking too loud and too much, Wickam now as an aging gigolo! Elizabeth, Jane, Darcy and Bingley all come to a happy ending as expected, but watching my favorite book played out among the Medicare generation in Florida was a delight! Highly recommend!

ETA: had to fix this! I was so goofy this AM I wrote "Willoughby"- the cad from Sense and Sensibility- when I meant Wickam! DUH!!!

1 comment:

Lee said...

Oh that sounds HIlarious!!!! I LOVE Pride & Prejudice!!!