Saturday, April 5, 2008

A really fun day!

My friend Cindy and I went to the Stamp Scrap Art Tour today. That's a vendor fair for stamping and scrapbooking supplies, for the uninitiated. It was crowded, there were soooo many things to see, and we had a great time!

We did a couple make-it,take-its; those are mini-classes where you try out a new technique. We did watercolor painting with wonderful paints called Twinkling H2Os, which are really shiny and look so pretty. We also did a different kind of watercoloring class, where you stamp an image and then use a waterbrush to get a watercolor effect. We saw a bunch of demonstrations as well- Cindy went nuts over the pastel chalks and embossing pastes for stencils. (I already have both, so I was able to be an enabler, lol!)

I got a really GREAT stamp sheet of Albert Einstein quotations from Stamp Camp- these are WONDERFUL for a physics teacher!!! The lady at this booth was super helpful and really nice.

The watercolor class used stamps from Art Impressions, and I could not resist getting the beach collection of stamps after that class. Julie and Mary run StickyScrap and were really fun to meet.

From The Stencil Collection I got a magnificent Lion stencil, and one that is a safari scene of elephants, giraffes and trees. These will make wonderful cards and I will LOVE having them to go with my Africam passion.

The best of the day I cannot show you. Stampsmith makes lots of stamps from old photographs, which are really neat. What they do not have on their website, but they had today, was a photo stamp of Shirley Temple!!! Now, I know it is considered by most to be silly to still like Shirley at my age- but I cannot help it, I DO! However, I can show the Greta Garbo stamp I also got (although I got it unmounted) and their beautiful Ophelia stamp, which if you go to the link is way down near the bottom of the page. Estelle did a demonstration for us of how to color these stamps with chalks and it was really neat. Both ladies at this booth were super nice and fun to talk to.

Most of the rest of what I got were supplies- diamond glaze, clear embossing powder, stuff like that. I found a set of small metal charms of safari animals- lion, zebra, elephant, rhino and giraffe- WAY cute!

And how, you may ask, did I manage all this? In a wheelchair, of course. But, I gotta get one with a BASKET!!!

So, it was a GOOD DAY!!!

Now, it's time for the WildEarth drive, so I have to go watch that, then I'll collapse. Tomorrow, if I am not totally wiped out, I want to start mounting my stamps so I can play!!!

THEN you will get to see SHIRLEY!!!!

For now, here's an old picture:



4 comments:

Lee said...

Okay.......first of all........Yaaaaaaaaaaay!!!! I'm soooooo glad you got to go and have a wonderful break from all the stresses and recovery and work!!! Next......I can't wait to see the adorable Safari creations you make!!! I'm so lovin' those Jeep Drives!! And lastly...I LOVE Shirley Temple!!! I'll put on her movies often when I have insomnia and just be entertained so light-heartedly!! Sleep well!!

Suzanne said...

Wow those are some classy stamps. I can't wait to see what you do with them. So glad you had a great time. I can see where an event like this can be very dangerous for ones budget and wallet....

Cathrine StClair said...

I'm so glad you had such a good time! Sounds like you did great!

Mary from Stamp Camp is very nice and they have some beautiful images and backgrounds.

I really like Art Impressions too - I have some of their stamps coming into the store.

Those twinkling H2O's can be very addictive! The colors are so pretty.

Isn't fun to see all the stuff and hang out with all those other stampers?

Beth said...

I'm so glad you had a day that made you smile! Shirley Temple movies are the best! I haven't seen any in years, but I remember laying (lying?) on my Nana's LR floor, turning on channel 17 (on channel 4) and watching her every Saturday. My all-time favorite has got to be "Heidi".

I need to see about finding some of them - I think my DD would love her. Thanks so much for the trip down memory lane!