Saturday, February 5, 2011

Sense and Sensibility 200th Birthday Celebration!

Down on my sidebar you will find a section devoted to blogs that celebrate Jane Austen. There are hundreds of similar blogs and websites but these are my favorites.


One of them, AustenProse.com, is hosting a participatory celebration of the 200th anniversary of Jane Austen's first publication, Sense and Sensibility. 


I don't know how I missed it before- although it was posted while we were in Florida and Auntie was in the hospital, so I guess I was just distracted and not checking my blogs regularly. Fortunately, they are accepting sign-ups until March 1, so I (and you, if interested!) am not too late!


The goal for each participant is to read Sense and Sensibility related books and/or watch filmed versions of the story throughout the year.


I am signing up as a "disciple" which means my goal is to read/watch 8 selections during the year. I would LOVE to reach "afficionado" status, which is 9-12 selections, but I am not sure so I won't say I'll do it. 


I will begin by re-reading the original, wonderful Sense and Sensibility. My next stop will be the 1995 movie with Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman and Hugh Grant. After that, well, there is a long list available the AustenProse to choose from.


Happy 200th birthday to Sense and Sensibility! Congratulations to Jane Austen because her books are just as popular 200 years after she wrote them, and they are now enjoyed and loved worldwide!

1 comment:

Laurel Ann (Austenprose) said...

Thanks for joining the challenge. I hope you enjoy your selections.