Friday, November 12, 2010

Teneriffe Lace, step-by-step

There's been some discussion of Teneriffe Lace over at InTatters (an online tatting forum) lately. A few ladies have expressed interest in learning more about it. 

Well, I'm no expert, but I do know how to make basic medallions of Teneriffe lace using my Stitch-Around board, so I am going to make a new medallion over the next several days. I will be taking pictures at every step of the way and posting them here and at Intatters, so if you are inclined to want to learn more about how Teneriffe Lace is made, just follow along here.


The picture above is of a new medallion at the very first step- laying down the base thread, also known as a holding thread. You go around the form, threading over and under, filling in every hole. You can use any available thread, as long as it is strong enough to hold your working thread- I am using some left over #5 perle cotton. When I complete this round, I will do the same thing again, but doing the over-and-under on the opposite sides, so that there will be a complete holding thread- no spaces- on both the front and back of the form. Next picture will be a completed holding thread, and the beginning of the web, so check back tomorrow!

1 comment:

deanna7trees said...

Hi ladydoc,
thanks for visiting my blog. I will be following your step by step teneriffe lace adventure. I'm just learning to do it myself. There is a form of teneriffe lace that is done on cloth and then cut away. The only book published is not in English. Would love to learn how to do that as well. If you e-mail me, I'll give you more info. Was unable to find an e-mail address for you.