Thursday, October 25, 2007

It's been a L-O-N-G week!

When I started this, only 5 days ago, I intended to post every day. Sort of an online diary, you know? Well, *that* didn't happen.

School is so depressing. I work at a school that used to be wonderful. Now it is a grim place where the faculty are demoralized and the kids are not happy anymore. It is so very sad. I saw the doctor today. He recommended that I either get a new job or see a shrink in order to deal with my current one. Neither is a happy alternative.

On the weather front here, it is good news/bad news. The good news is that the bizarre warm weather, or rather HOT weather, has finally broken. The bad news is that it has been replaced with cold, nasty rain and a general damp that makes everyone a little more tired and definitely more grouchy.

There is very happy news on my plants front. A small thing, for sure, but something to relish. I have been trying, with great lack of success and through many, many plants, to grow plumeria here in Philadelphia for many years. Plumeria is a tropical plant, also known as frangipani, and famous in Hawaii as the plant whose flowers are most often used for leis. They are not particularly attractive as plants/trees, but blossom with a very pretty flower that has an incredible scent. About 2-3 weeks ago all the leaves fell off my oldest (about 4 years) surviving and largest plumeria plant. "Another one bites the dust" was my thought. Well I just left it where it was on the radiator, and within the last few days, a whole raft of new leaves are popping out. The thing has even started some new branches! This is not really the time of year that this should be happening, but I will take good plumeria news any way I can get it. Once the leaves are obvious enough for the camera to catch, I'll post a picture of it.

This is enough for tonight. Time for bed, to sleep, perchance to dream, and then another day in the salt mines.

Here is a picture of a now long gone plumeria that once flowered for me:

No comments: